The recipe I’m sharing with you today is great for making ahead of time and just storing in the fridge so I’ve made a few! This is parfait but not as you know it! It is made mostly from Quinoa and it goes so well!
Quinoa has had a lot of attention over the last few years and rightly so. It’s an ancient grain with lots of nutritious qualities. It is one of the few foods other than meat that is actually a complete protein source. It has a high fibre content which is good for keeping you ‘regular’ and but also helps to keep blood sugars at a constant level too. Quinoa has anti-inflammatory properties and contains high levels of iron, calcium and magnesium which are all essential for healthy bones and muscles.
You can buy white, red or black quinoa and they all taste slightly different. Black and red are more savoury tasting whereas white quinoa has a lighter flavour with a very faint taste. I’ve used mostly white for this recipe but did have a few black and red in my jar which mixed in quite well!
I make either a batch of Quinoa or a batch of Brown Rice every week and keep it in one of my many Mason Jars or Tupperware containers in the fridge. I would never have thought of using Quinoa for something sweet until I realised I had lots left in my fridge and loads of spare raspberries, so I though ‘what the heck… I’ll try it!!’
And it is sooo scrummy! This little beauty is lovely as a breakfast, a post or pre-work out snack, an afternoon pick me up or as a refreshing dessert. The options are endless and however you serve it, it is totally guilt free and good for you!
I normally double up the quanities and make 4 pots so I have plenty in the fridge for during the week.
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Cooled Quinoa
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour/Meal
- 1/4 Cup Raspberries
- 1/4 Cup Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup 0% Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Natural Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Stevia or honey if you want to sweeten it up
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- In a bowl mix the quinoa, almond meal, vanilla, coconut 1/2 tsp cinnamon and the sweetener if you are using it (I used the tiniest bit of stevia)
- Distribute half of the quinoa mix into 2 dishes
- Top each pot with most of the yogurt, leaving a bit for the top
- Add the blueberries to each pot
- Distribute the rest of the quinoa mix and top with the remaining yogurt
- Finish off with the raspberries, almond slivers and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Either serve immediately or cover and store in the fridge