Snacks are a big part of my life and always have been! But packaged snacks nowadays, although many claim they are healthy, are filled with so many unpronounceable ingredients and a lot of added extras to make up for the fact that they have no taste!.
It’s so important to find a healthy alternative to the things we love and its been a big part of my clean eating journey! Where possible I try to make my own snacks and this is one version of my microwave popcorn that I adore.
3 cups of popcorn made this way only has about 120 calories and very little fat, so there is no longer any need to feel guilty about eating it! I have used Xyla to sweeten the corn which is a completely natural sweetener made from 100% Xylitol – North American Hardwood. It is low Carb and low Calorie but still feels and tastes like sugar without having had any nasties added to it. I tend to use it in most of my baking and think it’s pretty good stuff. Then with a bit of salt and cinnamon the perfect Sweet ‘n’ Salty popcorn is born!!
Makes about 3 cups of popcorn:
- 1/4 Cup Organic Corn Kernels
- A Brown paper bag
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Xyla/Xylitol
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- PAM or similar oil spray
- Place a quarter cup of kernels into a brown paper sandwich bag and fold the ends over twice
- Lie it flat on the microwaveable plate and cook on full power for 3-4 minutes until the popping slows (it should pop every 2 seconds or so until it has finished)
- Empty the bag out into a large bowl and thoroughly spray all the popcorn with the oil spray, turn it over using 2 spoons several times and add the seasonings
- Spoon it round again ensuring all the corn is coated, add more seasoning if required
Serve and oooooohhhhhhhhh Enjoy…..x
Tip: You could also use garlic powder, cumin or onion powder or another of my favourites is zest and juice of a lime and a tsp of cayenne pepper for a bit of sweet ‘n’ sour!!