We love food with a bit of umph, some spice and a little heat! Eating Clean does not have to be boring or expensive, you really can make something so tasty out of very little.
This dish reminds me of the good old days when hubby and I used to go out for Thai food. What with his Diabetes and the sugar content of most Thai food, and then 2 boys in tow, it’s not something we’ve enjoyed for a long time so I like to make my own version. A sugar free, spicy yet so simple Chilli Beef served with Cabbage Leaves to roll and dip in a cooling Yogurt sauce. Tasty, cheap and oh so very healthy. This Meal has few ingredients so it is really easy to whip up.
Depending on how hot you like your food and who you’re making this for, alter the amount of Chillies you put in. I sometimes do 2 versions at the same time, 1 pan for the boys minus Chillies and 1 pan for the Adults with Chillies! I did ours with one full Jalepeno including seeds and I was struggling to breathe at the end but we like it that way!!! Then for the Boys I will serve with Tortilla Wraps, Tacos or Brown Rice and for me Cabbage Leaves
- 500g Extra Lean Minced/Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 5 Green/Spring Onions
- Piece of fresh Ginger about an inch in length
- 1 Green Jalepeno or Red Chilli
- 2 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce/ Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Dried Cilantro/Coriander
- 1 Tsp Chopped Peanuts
- 3/4 Cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Mint
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Crush the garlic, grate the ginger and finely slice the onions and chilli
- Add the beef and Soy sauce to the pan along with the garlic, ginger and chilli
- Leave to cook on a medium heat for about 20 minutes while you prepare the cabbage leaves.
- Holding the full cabbage at the base, ease each layer off gently trying not to tear. The easiest way to do this is cut along the base of the layer with a knife so you leave the hardest part of the layer attached to the rest of the cabbage. Continue for about 2 or 3 layers per person
- About 5 minutes before serving add the chopped onions and Cilantro/Coriander to the meat pan and turn off the heat. Stir Through.
- For the Yogurt sauce, finely chop the cucumber and mix together with the yogurt, lemon juice, mint.
- Distribute the meat into bowls and sprinkle with the nuts.
- Serve with dip and cabbage leaves