Celebrate the wonder of Black Beans with this heavenly bowl of goodness! Black Beans are superb for lowering cholesterol due to their fibre content. They are low in fat, high in protein, this serving alone provides 14g of protein (the high fibre and protein combination of these Beans is more than can be found in any fruit, vegetables, grains, meats, dairy products, nuts and seeds, or fish) and they are one of few legumes that contain omega 3 fatty acid. They are superb for regulating blood sugar levels so perfect for diabetics and for generally reducing spikes in sugar levels which can cause cravings). Black Beans are even linked with lowering the risk of colon cancer.
Then we have Avocado with it’s disease fighting antioxidants and high fibre content. It is a higher fat fruit but high in the healthy kind called monosaturated fat. This slows digestion and reduces sugar spiking. Due to it’s high folate content it can also lower the risk of heart disease. Pretty good stuff!
So being low carb and along with the other vegetables in there, it’s pure health in a bowl and I find it so wonderfully filling and delicious. I hope you do too!
- 1 Cup of Cherry Tomatoes
- 5 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 Cups of Cauliflower Rice (See health benefits and How to make Cauliflower Rice)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Cups of Tinned Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 Big handfuls of Spinach
- 1 Avocado
- Tbsp Lime juice
- Tsp Pumpkin/Sunflower seeds
1. Start by chopping your cherry tomatoes in half and tearing up the basil leaves. Place in a bowl and add a splash of olive oil and sprinkle of salt. Leave to one side
2. Add the lemon juice and pepper to the cauliflower rice (see how to make) ready for heating up before serving
3. Add the drained black beans to a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil, the garlic and spinach and saute for 5 minutes
4. Slice the avocado and divide between the plates, top with lime juice. Add the tomatoes to the side.
5. Heat up the cauliflower rice for a minute in the microwave and add to the plates and top with the black beans and spinach.
6. Sprinkle with sunflower and pumpkin seeds or roasted chickpeas