From of the beginning of March I’ve started a 6 week challenge of back to basics!
As you’ve probably noticed I haven’t written for a while and that is a tell tale sign I’ve been letting it go a little bit! it’s that time of year, we’re still on track but we’re not totally focussed. I have to admit I have lost a bit of muscle definition and gained a little bit too much body fat over the winter months due to change in work and training schedules, I’m sure many of us are the same but with a few tweaks, we can get it back in time for next season ….right? Spring is just around the corner…
So I’m putting it out there….6 weeks of going back to basics to uncover that lean muscle mass, to drop that fat and to feel absolutely back on track again, can we do it….YES WE CAN!!!
Let me know with a Comment if you’re with me and from now until 15th April, 6 weeks of simple, easy food, regular training and the results will come. We need measurements and photos so we know what we are starting from, ooh it feels good to have a focus doesn’t it?!
So take a photo, take your measurements and let’s go!!
Where to start eh?! – At the beginning:
Let’s not forget that it takes a lot more than a few sessions at the gym to get the body we deserve. You cannot exercise out a bad diet. 85% of health and fitness comes down to what we put inside our bodies, so getting back to basics here’s where we are at:
- Eat clean natural whole foods where possible or packaged foods with as few ingredients as possible. Read the nutritional information, if you can’t pronounce anything or if there are more than ten ingredients don’t do it!!
- Eliminate white and starchy carbohydrates and sugars. That means no white pasta, rice or bread, no chips or fries, no refined sugar, sweets, candy or pop
- Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you wish (apart from the sugary ones on the list below )
- Eat 5 or 6 meals a day, every 2 or 3 hours
- Eat lean protein at every meal; chicken, eggs, fish
- Eat healthy fats such as 1/4 cup of nuts, half a small avocado, 2 tablespoons of natural nut butter
- Drink water, lots of
- When eating out be smart – dressings on the side, ease off the cheese, choose chicken and salad. Easy on the carbs as it will mostly be starch, if its easier and you know you’ll be tempted don’t even look at the menu! Have a snack before you leave the house to stop you being starving and making bad menu decisions!
- Enjoy a treat meal once a week and avoid alcohol apart from at this meal
Eat as many vegetables as you can….try a new one each week!
|Rocket||Asparagus||Bamboo shoots||Bean sprouts||Beet greens|
|Bell peppers||Broad beans||Broccoli||Brussels sprouts||Butternut squash|
|Jalapeno peppers||Lettuce||Mushrooms||Mustard greens||Onions|
|Spring Greens||radishes||Mange tout||Shallots||Spinach|
|Swiss chard||Tomato||Turnip greens||Watercress|
Eat as many as you wish apart from the (s) ones which are higher in sugar and should be limited to before or after exercise
|Figs||Dates (s)||Mango (s)||Papaya (s)||Pineapple (s)|
|Tangerines||Raspberries||Strawberries||Bananas (s)||Grapes (s)|
|Watermelon (s)||Honeydew Melon|
Eat some form of protein at every meal. Ideally if you are looking to build lean muscle you should be eating 0.8 x your body weight in lbs
|Chicken||Turkey||Beef||Game||Eggs and Egg Whites|
|Fish||Pork||Hemp Protein Powder||Whey Isolate Protein Powder|
Aim for a fist sized portion of carbs per meal if you are working out and always refuel with carbs and protein. As the day goes on (if I have worked out in the morning) I will reduce my carb intake as my body requires a lot less energy and on the days I don’t work out my carb intake is a lot less.
|Butter beans||Black Beans||Chickpeas||Kidney Beans||Lentils|
|White Beans||Artichokes||Leeks||Butternut Squash||Whole Grain Bread|
|Pumpkin||Sweet Potatoes||Turnip||Whole Grain Crackers||Wholegain Tortillas or Pittas|
|Brown Rice||Polenta||100% Rolled or Steel Cut Oats||Quinoa||Barley|
|Green Peas||Sweetcorn||Carrots||Wholewheat English Muffins|
Nuts & Seeds
Aim for about a cup per day of these healthy fats
|Walnuts||Cashews||Almonds||Sunflower seeds||Pumpkin Seeds|
|Chia Seeds||Hazelnuts (Filberts)||Brazil Nuts||Pine Nuts||Pistachios|
|Natural Peanut Butter||Natural Almond Butter||Flax seed||Macadamia Nut||Hemp seeds|
Let’s do this, can’t wait to hear how you’re getting on!