So it’s the weekend and we all feel the need to give ourselves a pat on the back for a clean healthy week. BUT falling into ‘its the weekend’ trap will do nothing but destroy all the hard work you’ve put in this week and you’ll be starting again on Monday. We can still stay on plan while enjoying our weekend. If it’s a glass of wine and some nibbles you’re after why not try a glass of Sparkling Water with a slice of lime (in a wine glass!) or if you really can’t get it out of your head, a glass of ‘Skinny Grape’ Wine with a lovely bowl of my Sweet ‘n’ salty Popcorn.
Snacks are a big part of my life and always have been! But packaged snacks nowadays, although many claim they are healthy, are filled with so many unpronounceable ingredients and a lot of added extras to make up for the fact that they have no taste!.
It’s so important to find a healthy alternative to the things we love and its been a big part of my clean eating journey! Where possible I try to make my own snacks and this is one version of my microwave popcorn that I adore. It should also hopefully help out my Best Buddy (who was a major reason I started this blog!) – she’s got a serious addiction to Cinema Sweet ‘n’ Salty popcorn! This one is for her!
3 cups of popcorn made this way only has about 120 calories and very little fat, so there is no longer any need to feel guilty about eating it! I have used Xyla to sweeten the corn which is a completely natural sweetener made from 100% Xylitol – North American Hardwood. It is low Carb and low Calorie but still feels and tastes like sugar without having had any nasties added to it. I tend to use it in most of my baking and think it’s pretty good stuff. Then with a bit of salt and cinnamon the perfect Sweet ‘n’ Salty popcorn is born!!
Makes about 3 cups of popcorn:
- 1/4 Cup Organic Corn Kernels
- A Brown paper bag
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Xyla/Xylitol
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- PAM or similar oil spray
- Place a quarter cup of kernels into a brown paper sandwich bag and fold the ends over twice
- Lie it flat on the microwaveable plate and cook on full power for 3-4 minutes until the popping slows (it should pop every 2 seconds or so until it has finished)
- Empty the bag out into a large bowl and thoroughly spray all the popcorn with the oil spray, turn it over using 2 spoons several times and add the seasonings
- Spoon it round again ensuring all the corn is coated, add more seasoning if required
Serve and oooooohhhhhhhhh Enjoy…..x
Tip: You could also use garlic powder, cumin or onion powder or another of my favourites is zest and juice of a lime and a tsp of cayenne pepper for a bit of sweet ‘n’ sour!!