We’ve all heard that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it actually really is. Overnight your body has been fasting and in order to give it the right energy, it’s essential that the first meal you have on waking is full of healthy nourishment to fuel you for the day. Ideally Breakfast, if you can stomach it, should really be the largest meal you have. We want to kick start our metabolism to begin burning those calories. Actually skipping breakfast can be one of the worst things you can do as your body has no ‘fuel for the fire’ and basically doesn’t start work until it gets fed! This means it holds on to its reserves and stores them as fat.
Alternatively many people grab and go with the first thing they can get their hands on which is often some form of sugary cereal or maybe a take out muffin. These are actually the worst things you can have as they are both filled with refined sugars which lead you to crash and burn mid morning craving the stuff you really don’t want to be eating.
So we really need to get a good Breakfast into us. My Oat Cereal is one of my favourites but there are days when I just fancy something a bit different and these Protein Pancakes have now become another firm favourite of mine!
I never used to eat Pancakes before I started Clean Eating. Mostly because they were too much like hard work, also because I didn’t really like them and lastly because we all know they aren’t particularly good for us!
ALL CHANGE! Protein Pancakes can be a fantastic alternative for breakfast or at any part of the day really. Served with fresh berries, they are a completely balanced meal or snack and are so tasty. Each serving yields about 4 pancakes. I never manage all of them so tend to freeze spares and grab them on days when I cant be bothered to prep anything. I just pop them in the toaster on ‘defrost’ and they’re done! If you have time its always worth making a extra batch so you’ve got some in the freezer as back up as Breakfast is always a rush (in our house it is anyway) so its always helpful to have reserves!
I have two favourite Pancake mixes, one is Oat based, the other Banana based so it just depends which mood I’m in, the Banana one is good for a sweeter tooth but they are both equally delicious.
Oat Protein Pancakes
- 3 Egg Whites (6 tbsp. egg white)
- 1/2 Cup 0% Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- 1 Scoop (30g) Unflavoured Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp Natural Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl
- Spray Pancake Pan with PAM or similar oil spray
- Place a tablespoon of mixture per pancake onto the pan and turn over after about a minute or when turning golden brown
- Remove from Pan, serve with berries and spread with a bit of almond butter…yummy
(I don’t use any sweetener in this mixture so allow myself the quickest dribble of maple syrup if I fancy it over the top!)
Banana Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 Banana mashed (chop the other half up and put it in the freezer for smoothies!)
- 3 Tbsp Almond Meal (Ground Almonds)
- 2 and 1/2 Egg Whites (5 tbsp.)
- 3 Tbsp 1% Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1 Scoop Unflavoured Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Flax Meal (Ground Flax Seeds)
- Mix all ingredients together and follow as above
Tip – Plain Cottage Cheese and Plain Greek Yogurt can be interchanged for each other as they have basically the same nutritional content so feel free to use whichever you have more of!