I absolutely love this Zucchini and Kale Salad. It’s been one of my staple dishes for the last few weeks, I think I’m probably a bit addicted to it, its sooo tasty! I just love the mixture of sweet and savoury and the absolute freshness of the raw vegetables.
Using raw Zucchini and raw Kale you don’t lose any of the nutrients in either vegetable by cooking, so it is so good for you; Zucchini is one of the very low calorie vegetables; only 17 calories per 100 g. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol and its skin is a good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and can help to protect against colon cancers.
Zucchinis have anti-oxidant value and are a very good source of potassium. Potassium is a heart-friendly electrolyte and helps to reduce blood pressure and heart rates by countering the effects of salt/sodium. Zucchinis are also rich in Vitamin A and contain the B-complex group of Vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and Minerals such as iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
If you haven’t got a Spiriliser, you could use grated Zucchini but personally I prefer the Spiriliser, its prevents the vegetables from going watery and soggy like grated ones have a tendency to do. I just bought my Spiriliser from The Dollar Store, it only cost $3 so not too pricey!!
I tend to make enough of this salad for my husband and I with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day as it keeps really well. I eat it alone or with a good source of protein such as a nice chicken breast. You don’t need anything fancy with it because the salad really makes the meal!.
For the Chicken:
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Tbsp Water
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Clove of Garlic Crushed
For the Salad:
- 1 Large Courgette (Zucchini)
- 3 Cups of Finely chopped Kale
- 1 Cup of Pecan Nuts
- A handful of unsweetened or Low Sugar Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Tsp Salad Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the chicken Breasts in a roasting dish with the water to prevent them from drying out. Sprinkle with the fresh Thyme and Garlic, cover with foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, removing the foil for the last 5-10 minutes
- Start making your salad by spiralising the Zucchini into a large mixing bowl. Then chop with scissors (this just makes it easier to pick up)
- Using scissors again, chop the kale into tiny strips and add to the bowl.
- Add the Pecans into a roasting dish and place in the oven for the last 5 minutes of the Chicken cooking time. No need to add oil.
- In a mug or jug add the Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Seasoning and Salt and Pepper and stir.
- Add the handful of Cranberries to the Salad bowl, pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Remove the Chicken and Pecans from the Oven, sprinkle the Pecans over the Salad and mix
8. Serve the Chicken Breasts onto the Plate along with a good portion of the salad